As an addicted user of the most popular Nigerian forum, I can’t but get enthusiastic about subjects like this. I’ve used Nairaland Forum for loads of activities and I know how engaging they have been, little wonder why I had to come up with this write-up.
More often than not, if you are an average internet user in Nigeria, you must have come about this very simple but massive Forum, judging by the way the links spring up on search engines, you can’t just help but notice it. But for those who don’t know what Nairaland is, here is a swift introduction.
WHAT IS NAIRALAND
Nairaland is A Nigerian Forum. Generally, an online community for majorly Nigerians, founded in 2005 by Seun Osewa, a not-so-known Nigerian genius. It is just an abode for Nigerians to share their views and get responses. I love this platform a lot based on its simple premise of knowledge sharing and no discrimination, every man is equal.
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER ADVERTISING ON NAIRALAND
Nairaland Forum, as at April 2017, has over 1,787,323 members, with an Alexa rank of the 8th most visited website in Nigeria and 1,092 in the world. According to a report, Nairaland forum accommodates over 55M Internet users, that’s some 32.9% of the entire Nigerian population. Based on belief, Nairaland has ten times number of unregistered users when compared to registered users.
Figures published by Nairaland as at March 2017 reflects that the platform got roughly 9,832,632 unique visitors, 36,307,007 visits and 229,750,849 pageviews in a space of 31 days, that’s massive!
Now you see some reasons why Nairaland forum should be one of your considerations when it comes to digital advertising in Nigeria?
First off, let me brush through some 5 Ways To Legally Advertise Your Business For Free On Nairaland. Note that these are tactics I have utilized over time and confirmed the effectiveness. They are free, but they work magic!
HOW TO ADVERTISE FOR FREE ON NAIRALAND
DISCLAIMER: Nairaland Owner – Seun Osewa frowns at these ideas. He definitely wants to make more money and that’s understandable. This should be the last resort in case you want to advertise your business on Nairaland but you lack purchasing power.
- CONTENT MARKETING ON NAIRALAND: Open a thread on the best section relating to your delivery, compose your content and write some details about what you want to offer. Don’t make it look too spammy or salesy. It doesn’t have to make front page, as far as you are providing quality that’s worth patronizing, you will get clients from Nairaland!
A good instance of that is this importation thread.
- USE YOUR NAIRALAND SIGNATURE: Creatively describe your business in your signature. Then leave matured and meaningful comments relating to threads. People who find your contribution valuable are more likely to take a look at your signature, thereby discover your business! If you know you hardly have meaningful comments to drop, don’t try this method! Don’t spoil your business with bad comments. Your contributions have to be constructive with a soft tone. For instance, my signature on Nairaland reads “I am a professional Web Designer, Content Writer, and Social Media Marketer – Contact ************“. Then I follow sections relating to what I do and drop helpful comments. Trust me, I get calls!
- GO TO NAIRALAND ADVERT SECTION: Quite right, the section is legally meant for advertising purpose. All hail Seun Osewa for the generosity. You can advertise whatever you like on this section (Nairaland Terms And Conditions still apply though). Even though this section has a not-so-high patronage in terms of traffic, putting your website on there wouldn’t hurt, after all, it’s free.
Also considering the fact that Nairaland is readily well optimized for search engines. Putting your business there might throw you on Google First Page in little time. Give it a try! Thank me later!!
- DROP A GREAT POST, DROP A SHARP LINK: So many blogs have blown through Nairaland. Viviangist.com is just one of the numerous. All she does is look for great posts, publish on her blog, fly to Nairaland and create a thread for the same post, drop her blog link as the SOURCE. Due to the fact that her posts are mostly original and straight from the source, she gets on Frontpage most times, then subsequently smile to the bank as people rush through her link. In few days, I will drop another article on “How To Make Nairaland Frontpage Easily“. Yes, I know how! 90% of topics I created using this Eduregard Nairaland Account made Frontpage.
- OFFER HELP / SOLUTION TO ENQUIRIES: A smart instance is this thread – Ask Any Question On Blogging, SEO, Web & Social Media – OnlineMercenaries. Time was dedicated to answering questions relating to mentioned subjects but that was just pure brand publicity. Smart right? That’s the nerve!
Now, those were well stated. But if you need massive and concentrated customers from Nairaland, then you need to consider Nairaland Paid Adverts.
HOW TO ADVERTISE ON NAIRALAND – TARGETED PAID ADS
Nairaland Forum runs a Targeted Ad Platform with which any Nairaland member can place targeted paid adverts on any Nairaland section where he feels his advert will get the best attention. For instance, a web designer might consider placing adverts on the webmaster section.
To place your advert on Nairaland, navigate to the Nairaland Campaign Page, click on “Upload New Ad” and upload your banner and link. Your ad banner must be borderless, 318 pixels wide, 106 pixels tall, less than 30kb in size, and in the PNG or JPG format. You can get good Nairaland Ad Banner Designers Here. Once you submit your advert information, wait for approval, it’s usually less than 24hours. Your ad might not be approved if it’s deceptive or illegal or morally questionable in some way.
Once your ad is approved, you will have to pay for the ad credits, the minimum payment is #20,000. Also, payment method is majorly bank transfer but foreigners can as well pay with Orderbay or PayPal.
You can check the Nairaland Estimated Advertising Rates to find out how much it’ll cost to advertise on the various sections of Nairaland Forum.
Hint: Sections like Politics And Business are known to have converted best based on experience.
HOW DOES NAIRALAND CHARGE FOR ADS? PER CLICK? PER IMPRESSION? PER DURATION?
To be candid, Nairaland charges for approximate value delivered. The charges are directly proportional to the traffic your ad gets in a short run. It’s a no-brainer to say when there’s less traffic, you are charged less, the opposite applies in times of high traffic.
WILL NAIRALAND APPROVE MY ADS? WHAT KIND OF ADVERT WOULD NAIRALAND NOT ACCEPT?
Nairaland rejects ads that are considered deceptive or illegal or morally questionable in some way. Nairaland will never accept ads relating to betting, forex tradings, HYIPs, and MLMs. This is because they are generally deceptive and unsustainable. Nairaland will not accept ads for health remedies that make claims that have not been verified by NAFDAC. Nairaland will reject ads that deliver what is not advertised. Nairaland does not accept mailing list building ads as most of those who do this have the intention of spamming subscribers. Nairaland will not accept sexual ads, unless placed in the sexuality section.
WOULD NAIRALAND ACCEPT ANIMATED AD BANNER?
MY NAIRALAND AD WAS REJECTED, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Pretty straight-forward. Reason(s) would be given on why your ad was not approved. Consider the reason and make amendments. Then re-submit your ad.
I PAID FOR NAIRALAND AD BUT YET TO REFLECT IN MY AD CREDIT BALANCE
To be sincere, this happens at times. Seun Osewa is a “slow poison“, as said by a friend of mine who is a Nairaland Moderator. Probably there are loads of issues to attend to, he might leave your mail lying fallow in his inbox till he has your time. Panic not, be patient, he would surely get to you.
MY AD PLACEMENT IS STILL PENDING, WHY?
Every Nairaland section can only accommodate a maximum of six ad slots at a time. Meaning, only six advertisers can place their ads on any section simultaneously. Once there are six placements already, subsequent ad placements start pending. However, once a slot is free, it will be taken over by the advertiser with the earliest pending placement. Nairaland ad placement works on “First Come, First Serve” basis.
WHY WAS MY NAIRALAND AD REMOVED
Removal of ad revolves around just 2 reasons. It is either due to manual removal by Admin or running out of ad credit. If it is due to the first reason, contact Admin.
DOES NAIRALAND AD CONVERT? IS NAIRALAND AD EFFECTIVE?
Based on personal experience, Yes! It does. Even though you have to be smart with it. Make sure your landing page is detailed enough for people who click to understand what your advert is all about. If possible, make your phone number or website URL visible in the ad banner, so even those who aren’t ready to click can contact you. Pause your ad during midnights, maybe not, but it works fine for me.
I strongly believe I have tried on this. I believe I have provided more than enough information for you to start advertising your business on Nairaland.
That should be all on the topic – How To Advertise Your Business On Nairaland – Free And Paid Ads.
Don’t forget to share with friends.